August City Celebrations in Utah County
Summer isn't over yet!
There is still time to enjoy the fun hazy lazy days of summer! Before school starts and life becomes structured again. As a kid growing up we were religious about celebrating Alpine Days! It would mean the big dance on Saturday night, sleeping over on your friend trampoline so you could wake up to the cannon blast, if you were primary age you'd always be in the parade. I remember quilt and art shows at the old red church, fun booths in the park on main street and running into people you hadn't seen for a long time. Small town days are the best!
Alpine Days: August 4-11, 2019
A Rodeo, fireworks, art shows, fitness classes, concerts, carnivals, and more: Alpine Days is chalked full of fun events this year. Some highlights include:
- Free fitness classes beginning every day at 7 a.m. or 8 a.m. at Creekside Park with a 5K run on Saturday to top off the week of exercise.
- A free movie in the park (Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse) on Tuesday, August 6, at 8:30 p.m.
- The weekend family carnival that runs Friday, August 9 (noon to 9 p.m.), to Saturday, August 10 (11 a.m. to 10 p.m.). The carnival includes waterslides, a rock wall, a mechanical bull, a zip line, and more.
- A city parade at 10 a.m. Saturday, August 10, beginning at Mountainville Academy and ending at Creekside Park.
- The Alpine Rodeo on Friday, August 9, and Saturday, August 10, that begins with mutton busting at 7:00 p.m.
- Free concerts in Creekside park beginning 11 a.m. Saturday, August 10, to 10 p.m. followed by fireworks.
For more details about events, pricing, and more, visit alpinedays.org.
Salem Days: August 5-10, 2019
Featuring everything from a good ol’ tractor pull to kickball and fireworks, Salem has some fun activities in store for their city days this year. Here are a few events to keep your eye on:
- Two concerts: a family concert featuring Fire at Will at Knoll Park Outdoor Stage at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 5, and a Friday night concert on August 9 at Veteran Ball Park featuring Amiron Village at 7:30 p.m.
- A cardboard boat-building contest on Tuesday, August 6, beginning at 4 p.m. on the beach at Knoll Park.
- A tractor show and pull on Wednesday, August 7, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the rodeo arena.
- An outdoor showing of The Greatest Showing at Loafer View Recreation Complex on Wednesday, August 7, starting at 9 p.m.
- A grand parade on Saturday, August 10, at 10 a.m. and a children’s parade on Friday, August 9, at 6:15 p.m. that starts at the Salem city office.
- A fair in the square that runs the evening of Friday, August 9, and the morning and afternoon of Saturday, August 10, that features car shows, performers, games, contests, a carnival, and more. The fair will be followed by a talent show and fireworks the final night.
For more details about Salem Days’ featured activities, visit salemcity.org/salem-days.
Lindon Days: August 5-10, 2019
From video game tournaments to pinewood derbies and pool parties to rock concerts, Lindon Days hosts a variety of classic and unexpected events. Here are a few notable ones:
- A block party on Tuesday, August 6, at Pioneer Park starting at 5:30 p.m. that features games, inflatables, and tie-dye. Hang around for the ice cream social and movie in the park following the party.
- A teen pool party on Thursday, August 8, from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. that features prizes and a showing of Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse.
- An ongoing video game tournament on Friday, August 9, will be followed by an evening parade down Center Street beginning at 6:30 p.m. and an improv comedy show starting at 8:30 p.m. at the Lindon Community Center.
- A free swim day at the Lindon Aquatics Centers on Saturday, August 10, that features a cardboard boat regatta, court of mermaids, belly flop contest, Kentucky derby, and dime dive.
- The Party Rock Project at Pheasant Brook Park starting at 8:30 p.m. that features an exciting mix of a rock/pop concert, piano bar, comedy, and competitions that will end with fireworks on Saturday, August 10.
For more details about these exciting events and more, visit lindonrecreation.org.
Golden Onion Days: August 29-September 3, 2019
Featuring everything from onion contests to concerts, plays, hypnotists, and fireworks, Payson’s Golden Onion Days is packed full of exciting activities. Here are just a few highlights:
- Payson’s community theater will put on a production of Mary Poppins every night except Sunday, September 2, starting at 7:30 p.m.
- A city carnival beginning Friday, August 30, and running through Monday, September 3, which also features boutiques and food in Payson’s Memorial Park.
- Entertainment in the afternoon and early evenings every night, including country and rock concerts, a hypnotist, and more.
- An “over-the-top” firework display Friday, September 1, at 8:30 p.m. at the Payson high school football field.
- Monster truck rides on Saturday, September 1, and Monday, September 3, near the Aquatic Center as well as a car show Monday, September 3.
- A grand parade down main street starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, September 3.
Get more details about Payson’s Golden Onion Days at paysonutah.org.